Friday, August 3, 2007

An Introduction

Tena koe.

I don't know about you but I have some thoughts on what it means to be a kiwi. I was born here, in fact it's the only home my family has known for over 5 generations. Frankly, I'm sick of everyone seeing New Zealand on a fast track to being a third world country.

I lived in the USA for nearly 5 years and know how special this place is to visitors from other countries. We are a relatively young country against the rest of the world - we need to give ourselves a break! I welcome the debate on the Treaty of Waitangi, on being a republic, on race relations, the flag and the myriad of other topics that hit us every day in the news. Why? Because we can - that's what freedom is about.

Now, we know as NZrs, this is the best place on the planet - but the rest of the world doesn't know - in fact they mostly don't give a shit. So I reckon we need to sort our own stuff out, deal to the issues - not by ignoring them but by debating them and finding our common ground - whatever the issues are.

We live in a democracy, that means each vote counts. Nothing will change unless we the people change - that means we need to share our voice, to speak our thoughts and stand up for what we believe. Voting allows us the right to be heard. This blogging thing allows us an opportunity too.

So.... I'm really keen to hear what you think. Go for it!