Friday, August 10, 2007

Tourism Unplugged

I have spent the past 20 years in various roles within the tourism sector here in New Zealand.....United Airlines, Tourism New Zealand (in the USA and NZ) and most recently on secondment to Te Puni Kokiri (Ministry of Maori Development) helping the New Zealand Maori Tourism Council.

I formed my own company - Tourism Unplugged Ltd - at the start of August. What's in a name?

Tourism = a cultural exchange between a visitor and a host that leaves both parties enriched with more knowledge and contributes to world peace.
Unplugged = “to free from an obstruction”, raw, unencumbered, revealed, expanded, uncovered.

So, my intention is to serve this definition of tourism unencumbered by the barriers of working for someone else. This allows me to be free to persue my own interests in tourism and to serve it using my skills and experience to the very best of my ability.

This blog, I hope, will encourage discussion on some of the issues that face our sector. It won't go anywhere but it's good letting it out! So - be inspired, unencumbered and frank. Let's explore and give voice to our own thoughts. Who knows, we may change the world!